Friday, November 11, 2011

Fiber Shows

I've been doing a couple of small shows for the last couple of years. I didn't start dyeing because I'd make a lot of money. I started dyeing because I love the colors, so small shows have suited me fine. As long as I made my costs back, I was happy.

 This last August I did what was recommended as a good show. It wasn't. Something good did come out of it, however. It was a multi-day show and I asked a friend to come and booth sit with me. She's a graphic artist and works in marketing. As the show was slow, we had a lot of time to chat. She gave me tons to think about regarding future shows, marketing, what my booth looks like, and how I react to customers.

 Here's the tip of the iceberg of what I need ASAP:

  1. Signage (seriously - I have no signs) 
  2. Table coverings that match (and don't look like I got them from a flea market) 
  3. A booth layout (a designed plan for a 10x10 space) 
  4. A show plan that includes how many and which shows I want to do 
  5. An inventory plan (including fiber bases and colorways) 


 Future needs include:

  1. A long term business plan 
  2. New camera to take better pictures 


Some of these things will be easy (and even fun) to do. Others will require some soul searching and hard work. I think I'm ready for it. Nothing makes me happier than splashing dye, except maybe when people come to my booth especially to show me what they've made from the fiber they bought last time. That's great fun!

(Is anyone else having trouble with Blogger these days? It's being very wonky and not letting me format on a consistent basis.)

No comments: