Friday, May 02, 2003

Okay, so when I announced to my friend Jillian (the Knitting Frau) that I, too, had a blog, she said the following, "Be careful, it's addictive." I thought that was vaguely ominous sounding, but shrugged it off. I thought, "Well, of course it's addictive. Writing something and holding the thought in your head that everyone you know and lots of people you don't know could be reading your words. That's pretty powerful." Now I understand...

It's not my own blog that's addictive - it's everyone else's! I used to have a few blogs that I would check every day (okay 2 - that's it - 2). It started out innocently, I clicked on links on those two pages. I figured that since I liked the original blog, I might like something that person likes too. So now I'm up to 15 daily reads - thank the godesses that not all of them post everyday! I start reading and linking and I've lost an hour.

I'm constantly amazed at the fabulous things people share about their lives. On the other hand, I'm also freaked out about the things people share about their lives. Case in point, my office mate and I have one website that we were checking every day - a woman having her first baby. She was posting a picture of herself in a leotard every week so we could see how much her belly was growing and informing us of the happenings at her midwife visits. We howled at each new entry. So now the baby's been born and there are (swear to goddess) 21 pictures of the kid on his first day in the world! I can't wait until she gets over the "joy of giving birth" and settles into the "joy of hemorrhoids and sleepless nights." I know, my bitchiness is showing.

So, Jillian, you were right. I didn't listen and now I'm addicted, but I am having a lot of fun!

No comments: