Monday, May 05, 2003

I finished the Oat Couture Applegate Shirt! I put it off and put if off all weekend, but finally picked it up at about 9:00 pm last night. The seams are wonderful (if I can say that myself). I was very careful and took it slowly. Then I figured I should just go ahead and attach the buttons before wetting and blocking.

So I merrily sew on the buttons (using some embroidery floss that matches the color of the yarn). Then I go to button up the band and realize that the buttonhole band is about an inch longer than the button band! How did I manage this? I was so careful when knitting it and then attaching it. I rinsed the whole thing out and it really is beautiful - except for this very major flaw. I'm going to have to rip out the neckline and reknit the buttonhole band. Any suggestions for getting it right the second time?

I spent most of the weekend on a pair of socks I promised at the annual Christmas party. We all brought a gift and had an exchange at our party and the radiologist's husband won the pair of socks. I love to give a "kit" with the skein of yarn and a big piece of paper for the recipient to trace his/her foot and give the whole lot back to me to knit. I bought a skein of Mountain Colors just because it was beautiful and this seemed like a good place for it.

So, she finally got the skein of yarn to me a month or so ago and it was time to get a pair of socks back to her. This yarn is wonderful. It's soft and so pretty. I knit like a fiend and have 1 and 1/2 socks done. I should be able to finish the pair tonight and bring them to her tomorrow. I love knitting socks - it's nice to finish something so quickly and it kind of takes the sting out of the buttonband.

No comments: