Tuesday, January 05, 2010

2009 In Review - #1

I use Getting Things Done, by David Allen, as a general guidepost. I have gone through the book a couple of times and have even attended a seminar where I breathed the same air as he did for an entire day. When I use the system, I am more productive and feel better about what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. I think it's appropriate to get back on the GTD wagon ASAP.

I get e-mails from David (okay, it's the Productive Living newsletter, but it says my name at the top, so I choose to think David and I are close buddies - get your own here). The most recent newsletter was a guide to reviewing 2009 and setting goals for 2010. Since my theme word for 2010 is Progress, I thought I should get the best possible start and review 2009.

I just said to my daughter today, "I'm glad 2009 is over. It really sucked." She said, "Mom, why did it suck?" When I couldn't give her a concrete reason, she said, "Well, I think you need to think about it a little more so you can give a better answer the next time someone asks." (Yes, she really said that. She's extraordinarily old for 14.)

Anyway, the newsletter gave a list of questions to answer in reviewing 2009 and David said, "When I go through these kinds of questions I like to consider my answers in several areas"

Physical Emotional Mental Spiritual Financial Family Community Service Fun / creativity / recreation
I thought I could answer the questions throughout the month of January in order to do some in depth goal setting for 2010 (and yes, I picked the easiest questions first, what of it?).

Who were the three people that had the greatest impact on your life in 2009?
  1. Eric: My husband had the greatest impact in many ways. He continued his traveling throughout the year to Florida in the winter and Alaska in the summer. It was hard to have him go, but very nice to have him come back. He's growing and learning and while it's frustrating for him (and our budget) to be out of work, he's at least using the time constructively. He concentrated on fitness during the summer and was riding his bike 20-30 miles several times a week. We're planning on biking together this summer and eventually plan on doing a century ride. I'd be happier if he'd use a little more time to cook and clean, but you can't have everything.
  2. Jillian: My bestest fiber buddy has encouraged me on every creative undertaking I've started. When I call in despair (about work, family, finances), she talks me out of the tree. I tell her things with very little filter, because I know she understands and does not judge. I can show up at her house and feel welcomed and included. I cannot stress how invaluable it is to have a friend like this and how blessed I am to have her.
  3. Berma: My mother. I spent the majority of 2009 lamenting the fact that my mother has changed. She is no longer the warm, comforting woman of my youth. I am angry and sad about this. When she pushes my buttons, I try to remember that she is aging, but am only successful about 1/2 the time. I don't anticipate this changing throughout 2010, but I'm trying to gain some perspective and definitely trying to deal with it better than I have.
What compliment would you liked to have received in 2009?
"I want to work with you until I retire." I fel
t taken for granted at work in 2009. My boss is terrific, but his idea of an evaluation is "You're doing a great job. What's next?" I would like to have more constructive feedback so I know he's paying attention. One goal is this area is to seek him out more often and ask him sharper questions so I can focus more on what needs to be done and anticipate some of the upcoming projects better.

What compliment would you liked to have given in 2009?

It's not a specific compliment, but an urge to tell people how much I appreciate them more often (or at all). I have lots of friends who may not know how much I care about them and maybe I should tell them. I try to make sure my kids know how proud I am of them and how much I love them, so maybe that's the model I should use. I'm not going to tell my co-workers that I love them, but I can appreciate them more out loud and less in my head or to other people.

But enough about me, here's what you really came for (click on the picture to make it bigger). This is Erica, Kat, & Roberta in superwash wool (two 4 oz batches each):




No comments: