Thursday, July 31, 2003

20 years and a little knitting


Yup, that's me a little more than 20 years ago. My high school reunion was last Saturday. I really didn't want to go, but kind of felt it was a necessary evil to overcome. I will say that it was mildly pleasant. It's a very strange thing to walk into a roomfull of people that you knew 20 years ago and not recognize a soul. I felt guilty looking at everyone's name tag until I noticed that everyone else was looking too. Let me also say that it was weird being in a conversation with someone who was constantly breaking eye contact to scan the room. I'm so out of practice with large social gatherings, is this the way it's done?

I sat at a table with a lovely woman that I remembered from high school as just being the sweetest person - and she still is. However, also at our table were 2 women (and their spouses) who I didn't particularly care for in high school - and still don't. They wanted to talk about the good old days. "Oh, I loved high school. I could just do what I wanted and I never had to do anything that wasn't fun. I didn't even have any goals." To which I replied, "I had only 1 goal back then." Her eyes lit up and she said, "Really? What was it?" "To get the hell out of high school." At this, she pouted a little, "Oh, that's so sad." I got up from the table shortly thereafter.

I don't know what I expected, but this gathering definitely wasn't it. I guess I wanted to see how far people had come and I was interested in how they got there and where they wanted to go next. Without being too touchy/feely, I wanted to hear about their journeys. They just wanted to talk about how much beer they drank 20 years ago. I was a little sad, but hey, I got to shake this guy's hand. And yes, he's as smarmy as he looks.


On to bigger and better things. This was my week 3 Tour de France knitting. My lovely friend Jillian persuaded me that I needed socks of my own, so here they are.

She also made me swear on my children that I wouldn't be anal and make sure they matched perfectly. I just pulled the yarn out of the skein and off I went. It's amazing to me that they match as closely as they do - but they are different. A promise is a promise, after all.

I just signed up for a crochet class with Amy, Lynn, and the incomparable Jillian! I'm very excited and I have no hook-a-phobia to speak of.

No comments: