Wednesday, December 03, 2003

The Holidays are Upon Me

I feel a sense of relief now that I haven't had before. Yesterday was my work holiday party. The woman who organized last year is on her way out this year (her choice) and refused to participate in the holiday party. So, it was my job to pull it together. We just wanted a small lunch-time gathering where we could exchange gifts and eat good food.

A co-worker and I devised a movie trivia quiz that everyone had to play. There was lots of complaining when everyone was trying to figure out the answers (all these high achievers!!). I'm happy to report that everyone got at least 2 questions right (out of 17). The people with the least # right got to pick from the gift pile first. Everyone after that could either pick a gift from the pile or steal something someone else had taken before. There were a couple of hot items (a lava lamp, a set of ornaments, and [for some unknown reason] a giant tin of popcorn). My scarf was well received - it got oohs and aaahs.

I have declined all other Holiday party invitations. We have one wedding to go to (on the 19th) and Christmas Eve dinner at my parents' house. I suppose I'll have to show up at my mother-in-law's house at some point too. We used to switch back and forth between my parents' house and my mother-in-law's house for all holidays. The last Christmas Eve dinner I had at my mother-in-law's was in 1990 (my father-in-law's last). "Dinner" was sub rolls and deli meat (still in their plastic bags) tossed on the table with jars of mayo and mustard on the side (the knives were sticking up out of the jars). Seriously, she couldn't even be bothered to try and make it look nice. I looked at my husband over my Chinette plate and said, "This is the last time...." He cut me off with, "Don't even finish, I know and I agree." I hate it when he agrees too quickly - then I don't get to rant and rave.

Does it make me anti-social that I hate holiday gatherings? I'd much rather be sitting in a corner and knitting than trying to be pleasant for 2-3 hours. I want to hibernate. My office-mate and I decided that everyone should have an "opt-out" for December if they want it. Companies would pay their workers for the entire month of December, but not expect them to show up at work. I have received 5 work related invitations for holiday gatherings - each on different days. If they're paying me to eat and drink and be merry with my co-workers - why not just let me stay home in my bed with the remote and a basket full of yarn? I'd really be much happier and more productive in the long run.

No comments: