Thursday, August 07, 2003

Thanks Grandma!!

So, we're watching a little TV last night and a commercial comes on for Pretty Woman. Not a bad movie, all in all, but my 8-year-old daughter looks up and says, "Oh, I've seen this movie before."

I look over at my husband and ask, "Where?"

"At Grandma's." Now this movie is my mother-in-law's favorite movie. Again, not a bad movie, but appropriate for an 8-year-old?

"Maddie," I begin, "what does that woman do for a living?"

"She's a hooker, mommie."

At this point, I think my eyebrows were up somewhere around my hairline. "What does a hooker do?"

"Oh, she's tries to get in people's cars and give them directions and stuff like that."


While I'm not interested in a debate about prostitution with my 8-year-old (did I mention, she's 8?!?) I think she needs to know what it is and why it's bad. I just didn't feel up to it right then. What I did feel up to was bitching at my husband about the inappropriateness of his mother letting our daughter watch that movie. Fortunately, he felt the same way, so it really wasn't much of an argument. Now what? My mother-in-law and I aren't exactly the coziest of friends (despite the fact that she lives next door - within spitting distance as I am fond of saying). She doesn't take my sort of constructive criticism very well. Short of never letting my daughter go over there unchaperoned (not an option) what do I do now?


There is no knitting going on at my house at the moment. I'm trying to shake some sort of allergy thing going on. I am looking through the Aran pattern books Jillian loaned to me and dreaming of my very own aran sweater. I must have marked about 100 stitches I liked - it should be an interesting sweater.

No comments: