Wednesday, January 04, 2012

First Yarn of 2012

Again, in the quest to spin up the stash I dove in for another couple of chunks that would spin well together. 


Spunky Eclectic 80% Corriedale/20% Alpaca blend in the Cowgirl Blues colorway. I'm pretty sure someone gave this to me, because I would never have picked the colors myself. I ganked a photo that someone posted on Ravelry and this is exactly what my braid looked like. It's essentially red, white, and blue on an amazing base. However, not my colors at all. The braid weighed 4 oz.  


Ashford Merino/Silk Sliver - Mulberry
The other bundle was a plastic bag filled with Ashford Merino/Silk Sliver (80/20) in the mulberry colorway. The label says it weighed 100 grams (3.5 oz) and I paid $11.75 for it. While I will spin 50/50 merino/silk all day long, I'm not quite sure what possessed me to buy this bag of fiber. It may have been a pick me up present at some point, but when I saw the blue mixed in with the rest, I thought, "Why??" You can see from the picture that it's mostly a shade of purple, but has blue, red, white, and peach shot through. Both fibers were quite soft and I figured they would go well together.


2-ply
This blend spun up super fast. While I'm not partial to a lot of her colors, Spunky takes amazing care when she dyes and her braids are never compacted or over processed. Both of these were a dream to split and spin. In fact, I think I spun this (roughly) 8 oz in record time for me - about 2 days from start to finish.


The resulting yarn is lovely. Because I spun it so quickly, I didn't have time to vary my spinning and it's remarkably even. When I showed it to Jillian and said, why are all my blends with this technique turnout out purple. She looked at me with an incredulous look and said, "because you ALWAYS buy stuff that has purple in it!" Maybe it's time to spin something other than this color.


fiber: 40% Corriedale/40% Merino/20% Alpaca/20% silk
weight: 6.7 oz
length: 283 yards
weight: worsted

No comments: