Sunday, February 08, 2004

I'm back

I need a new book to tell me Women should ignore media's �perfect mom� image?

The [current] assessment of motherhood has been shaped by out-of-date mores, the authors noted. It is not about whether women should have children or whether mothers should work or stay at home; it is about how no matter what they do or how hard they try, women will never achieve the promised nirvana of idealized mothering, they said.

Is anyone else puzzled by seemingly "scientific" data published in a book for big $$$ that is just common sense? My life is all about letting some areas go (keeping my house spotless, never having dirty laundry) so that I can pursue other areas that bring me fulfillment (watching Little Big-Man play hockey, listening to Sassy's develop her reading skills, spinning, knitting, etc.). I get really tired of academia telling me how I should and shouldn't behave/think/feel. Go check out the review if you're at all interested.

I'm sorry I've been away so long. I've become one of those bloggers that bug me (someone who doesn't post in forever and doesn't explain why). I caught the cold from hell last week. I was in bed for 2 days with a fever that hovered around 101 F. Not terribly high, just bad enough to make me want to lay in bed and wish for a quick and painless death. It was so bad, I didn't even care how terrible daytime TV is! I curled up on my heated mattress pad with a big glass of water and alternated between sleep and the DIY network.

I've slowly returned to knitting and spinning and I'm currently working on the bottom band for the Emerald Isle Pullover. Maybe I'd like to wear this before the end of winter??? I also started spinning that lucious blue wool/tencel blend. As predicted - it's gorgeous. I'll be pulling a skein off my plying spindle soon and I'll snap a picture of it then. It feels so good to feel good again.

No comments: