Friday, February 13, 2004

Enough is enough

I don't consider myself a "political" person. My philosophy of life can be pretty much summed up by "live and let live." I'm not bugging you, you're not bugging me - let's just leave it at that. Hub (who as you know by now is a fascist Republican) and I had a little conversation the other night regarding this marriage bruhaha. You can probably guess that I don't give a rat's ass who you sleep with - it's none of my business and when push comes to shove, Hub doesn't care much either.

Hub, "What's the big deal? Why can't they just live together and act like they're married."

Me, "The big deal is, we get benefits and perks because we toe the heterosexual line. They can live together, raise children together, and own property together, but they have no legal recourse if something goes wrong.

Hub, "What?"

Me, "Say a lesbian has a child - she's the biological mother of this child. Her partner has no ties, but has been in the house since conception and has raised this child as her own. Many states won't allow gay/lesbian parents to adopt - even when one is the biological parent. What happens if the woman who gave birth dies and her parents were never crazy about that lesbian thing. They swoop in and because they are related to the child, can take that child away from her only remaining parent."

Hub, "Oh..."

Me, "What about a stay-at-home gay dad? He's given up the rat race for a while to take care of the kids. He doesn't have health insurance. You know what happens to a single income family when one or the other parent gets very sick or becomes unable to work for any reason?"

Hub, "Hmm, I guess I never really thought about it."

Me, "You need to."


And so do you. I don't care if you're black, white, asian, agnostic, atheist, born-again, Jewish - it doesn't matter. We are all human beings and should be treated equally and with dignity and respect - no matter what our lifestyle choices are.



Click, read, and give - it's important.

No comments: