Thursday, June 09, 2005

Quilting?

I think life is a series of wanting or looking for one thing and ending up with another. The trick is to make sure you're happy with "another."

So, one of the hobbies I never wanted to try was quilting. Mostly because my mother-in-law was a quilter. She even owned a quilt shop for a while. I didn't want to do it, because I didn't want to have to ask for her advice when I got stuck on something.

After a meeting here at work the other day, a woman who knows I'm a knitter brought me her knitting to show me. She had the greatest little quilted bag made from coordinating scraps. It was a flat-bottomed smallish bag, about 8 x 11 in size with little handles. She couldn't remember the name of the pattern, but told me where she got it.

I went over to the store, but they couldn't help me because I didn't have the name of the pattern. I wander around a bit and come upon this:



I love it. I want it. I bought the pattern and I'm thinking about signing up for the class the shop is offering in August. Do I need another hobby? No. Do I love the idea of a small* fabric stash? Yes. The last time I took a class to try something out, I was convinced that I'd knit one sweater and hate it so much I'd stop. Yeah, 13 years and a couple of designs later...not so much.


*let's just ignore the huge self-deception at work here, okay?

No comments: