Friday, January 11, 2013

Ghost Clock

I've been thinking a lot lately about creativity in all forms. I am primarily a knitter and a spinner, although I do A LOT of dyeing as well. I've always been curious about drawing and sculpting, but haven't had the time or inclination to actually do anything about it.

I do have a couple of favorite sculptures that I'd like to share with you.

This is the Ghost Clock. 



It's located in the Renwick Gallery in Washington, DC. The Renwick is the home of the American Art Museum's Craft and Decorative Arts program. The first time I went there, I was expecting crafts along the line of knitting and spinning. I walked into a gallery and saw this piece and thought, "Why would they drape something and leave it in the gallery? That's really silly. They should take it out and repair it and then bring it back."

Then it hit me, it's a sculpture - created entirely out of wood. It was carved by Wendell Castle out of bleached Honduras mahogany.

I must have stood and stared at this thing for 20 minutes. It's on a large pedestal with a couple of other sculptures, but you can walk around and see it from all sides. It is gorgeous and I can't even imagine the craft it took to create it.

If you're in DC, take a trip over to the Renwick. It's not far from the White House so if you're there for the whole historic tour stop by and see it.

No comments: