Sunday, July 04, 2010

Book Reviews - June

I'm printing all my book reviews for June at one time. I'm lazy - sue me.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson, originally published in 2008
I resisted reading this for a long time - mostly because I didn't know what it was about and I hate to read a book because everyone else is reading it. It came up as a selection in one of my book clubs and I thought, "Oh why not". I'm so very glad I did. Even my mother, who doesn't much like crime stories is enjoying it.

I loved the characters and enjoyed their eccentricities (who doesn't have a crazy friend?). I'm waiting for the second book in the series, but rather sad that there will only be 3.

It's not a beach read, there are too many things happening. It is a good summer read.

Bicycling Magazine's Complete Book of Road Cycling Skills, edited by Ed Pavelka, originally published in 1998
This is a collection of articles originally published in Bicycling Magazine. There are sections that cover basics, essential skills, traffic safety, riding stronger and longer, off-season training, how to eat to ride, and medical concerns.

This is the perfect book for a beginning cyclist. There's so much I don't know that I didn't know where to start. Essentially I walked to the sports section of my local book store and started pulling books off the shelf. A lot of them are way over my head, but this was fit perfectly. I have a feeling that I'll refer to it for a long time and eventually pass it on to someone else.

My  Lurid Past, Lauren Henderson, originally published in 2002
The one word I would use to describe this book is filthy. The main character is a food public relations person representing a young chef who's doing his best to "shag" all the girls, snort all the cocaine, and drink all the alcohol in London. Juliet is doing her best to keep up with him. While I don't live like this, it was fun to read about other people who do. And as filthy as it was, it was the first book in a very long time that made me wish I was at home reading every second. 

Too Many Blondes, Lauren Henderson, originally published in 1998
There's is nothing like a good British mystery to keep me reading. The main character of this one is a sculptor who moonlights as an aerobics instructor. Henderson has taken me through the rave clubs of London and I enjoyed every minute of it. Plus there's quite a good mystery to solve. A fun summer read.

No comments: