Tuesday, December 24, 2002

First things first, the wedding was WONDERFUL!!! I tried so hard to get out of going, but I'm so glad I went. Saw a couple of Eric's cousins that I hadn't seen in a while and we really enjoyed ourselves a lot. My daughter was lovely as a flower girl and only tugged at her tights once while standing in front of the people who had gathered for the wedding. Even met some of my brother-in-law's friends and wondered why they hung out with him.

The real fun was that we went to Valley Forge before the festivities began. It was the 225th anniversary and they had big doings there. We went on a candle lit walking tour with a really loud tour guide. All the park staff were dressed in period clothing and talked about their "roles" in the encampment. I told my son he had to write a 2-page report about the place and he whined and cried the whole drive to Pennsylvania. Once he got into the spirit of things, he wrote down 4 pages of notes! I don't think he'll have a tough time with a 2-page report!

And since we were only 40 minutes from Gettysburg - on Sunday we headed over there. Maddie is a little confused, I think, between the Revolutionary and Civil Wars - but she's only 7. There's lots of time to get her straight with that. Gettysburg is amazingly well done. We bought a 2 CD driving tour package and it took us several hours to get through the park and listen and drive. Those battlefields don't look quite real. I'm not sure if it's because I've seen too many Civil War movies or the whole ground is somehow more holy because of what it went through. In any event, it was gorgeous and at the same time horrible.

I didn't finish the Dacapo - but only have 10 rows to go and the sleeve seams to stitch up. I have it with me here at my parents' house for the Christmas festivities. It should be finished before we begin our pilgrimage to the land of Disney (which starts on the 26th). I am working on an epic gauge swatch for the cashmere I bought at Stitches East. I want a set-in sleeve on a turtle neck sweater, rather close fitting (I was imagining the sweater as I knitted on the swatch on the ways to and from Pennsylvania).

Off to help with the dinner preparations. Merry Christmas everyone!!